surrey-online.co.uk > surreyLIVING :: Walks in Surrey :: > Llamas in Surrey: Guildford Loop Walk

Llamas in Surrey: Guildford Loop Walk - Posted By paulswalks (paulswalks) on 16th Mar 09 at 2:14pm

This walks takes in castle ruins, the white rabbit, a hilltop church with great views, LLAMAS, a disused gunpowder factory, roman temple ruins, an abandon railway station, and the great possibility of getting completely lost in erie Surrey forest and woods!

Took a quick look at Guildford Castle ruins & grounds first and also the Alice and White Rabbit sculpture before heading South along the Wey River Path joining the North Downs Way heading Westward.

Got a bit lucky with the weather - the sun came out just as I got to the top of St Martha's Hill. From there headed south. At bottom of St Martha's I came across a Llama farm - three of the herd (is it a herd of llamas?) were fenced off and seemed very friendly -  but  was warned by a local dog walker of their habit of spitting at you for no apparent reason- so left them alone and headed into Blackheath Forest.

Immediately lost the way completely, but just kept heading South and magically found my way to the Roman Temple Ruins alongside Farley Heath Road. (Not really ruins - just the foundations, was this a 'Time Team' discovery?).

Again got lost in Winterfold Wood, but thought if I just keep heading south I would eventually meet the Greensands Way. Luckily spotted a Car Park and was pointed in the right direction (the Way was right next to the car park!) and set off West chasing the setting sun.

Didn't like the Greensands Way too much - not enough way-markers - too boggy, but I was getting edgy about getting back to Guildford before dark and another day would feel differently about it. Reached the Downs Link / River Wey South Path and followed North to get back to Guildford.

This was the longest walk I have attempted, but the surprise discoveries along route and that I planned out the walk myself made up for the state of my feet and dodgy knee next mourning.

Click here to view a Google map of walk...