surrey-online.co.uk > surreyLIVING :: Walks in Surrey :: > Walks in Reigate and Redhill

Walks in Reigate and Redhill - Posted By paulswalks (paulswalks) on 8th Sep 09 at 4:52pm

I had originally planned to do this walk in one Sunday. Starting at Redhill BR Station, walking North East to the M25 then heading West. I was aiming to get to Colley Hill, which on the map is marked as a fairly high viewpoint. Unfortunately I had started out a bit late and just before reaching Reigate Hill got lost, I ended up on the Reigate Hill Road heading back to Reigate BR Station. As it was getting late I decided to head back home. The Redhill part of the walk was good at the start and over Reigate Hill Golf Club - but the section of path right by the M25 junction 7 was understandable underused, very overgrown and noisy (due to someone building a great big motorway alongside, maybe?).

I still wanted to visit Coley Hill, so the next week I planned a simpler walk starting at Reigate BR Staion, heading south through Priory Park, joining the Greensand Way westward then heading north across the railway line and up to Reigate Hill. This walk also took in a little detour to Reigate Castle ruins. Priory Park is very popular, and this sunny Sunday was quite busy. As I passed through the park and started a gentle climb up to Park Hill the crowds fell away. The hill flatens out to give 1/2 mile or so of very good views Southward and also looking back to Reigate town centre. Again I wasn't following my map carefully enough and a little past the descent I found myself walking across a Golf course which shouldn't have been there! By the time I found out where I was (Wonham Manor) it again was getting late so I headed for Deepdene BR Station, and my bus back to Kingston.

By the third weekend I was determined to get to Coley Hill, so I headed staight there from the BR Station. Once off the Reigate Hill road a fairly steep climb took me through beautiful little woods and upto meet the North Downs Way. Then heading West along the Way I couldn't get lost! Before Colley Hill was Reigate Fort - with views looking back to Reigate Town Centre. Colley Hill was well worth the previous two walks - giving fantastic views both South and West to Box Hill. So invigorated was I, that I decided to continue on the North Downs Way back to Box Hill.

You can find maps of the three walks here....

Happy walking all!!