surrey-online.co.uk

Welcome to the
surrey-online.CO.UK
registration form

By registering for free you will get access to our Online Forum and you will be able to comment on news articles
surrey-online.co.uk :: surreyLIVING :: Night Clubs & Gigs :: I love Kingston! - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
aj999
[Avatar]

Regular Member ***
Sex: Male
I love Kingston! (16th Apr 09 at 2:35pm UTC)
i love kingston, best night clubs surrey, kingston night clubs
for night clubs! {Cheesy} I mean we've got Oceana, McClusky's, Bacchus (my personal favourite as a big fan of alternative music)! I'm sure theres probably a couple more cool clubs I just dont know exist yet also, I mean I know it's not much of a "club" but I've been to the Fighting Cocks pub in Kingston before because they often have some pretty cool live music playing down in the basement sometimes - by the way if you love Guitar Hero, this is well worth a visit as they have a room dedicated to the legendary game that is GUITAR HERO! {Tongue Out}  I dunno about you guys but I think Kingston is the most awesome place to live near in Surrey if your young, fun and up for a weekend of heavy drinking. oops i mean dancing! {Tongue Out} haha. And since your reading this I'm guessing that you love Kingston too so comon people, tell me about all the cool places in Kingston I'm missing out on! :D

Obviously there's more to Kingston than just clubs but this is the night club forum isnt it? {Tongue Out}

andyl
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Sex: Unspecified
Re: I love Kingston! (16th Apr 09 at 8:41pm UTC)
You saved yourself in the very last phrase aj. {Wink}

emily-o
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: I love Kingston! (30th Apr 09 at 9:37am UTC)
I have heard that Kingston is pretty good for shopping - nice to hear that it is backed up with a good night life! Does it have any rock clubs?

My fortnightly attending club is the Agincourt! Excellent atmosphere! Friendly regulars! I only wish it shut later than 2.30!!

aj999
[Avatar]

Regular Member ***
Re: I love Kingston! (1st May 09 at 11:45am UTC)
Yeah definately, Kingston is great for shopping too! {Cheesy} I think Bacchus is the best chance you have for rock music. Although like any club, you should check the website first to see whats on that night.... All i know is that they have a punk night which is pretty insane but maybe a bit too insane for some.. {Tongue Out}  McClusky's is also good for rock music on its new slang nights but thats often the more alternative style of music mostly.

emily-o
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: I love Kingston! (6th May 09 at 9:54am UTC)
I guess as long as the atmosphere is right - any style of music becomes amazing to dance to! Especially when you are with good company! Insanity is good - but I don't think I could mosh all night haha - come out black and blue!!

What sort of alternative music do you like - Aphex Twin style? or ?

Stuart Lawrence
Developer
[Avatar]

Business Owner ****
Re: I love Kingston! (6th May 09 at 10:03am UTC)
It's all about the gigging opportunities. You have The Peel, McClusky's (sometimes), the Fighting Cocks and many more. Kingston is an excellent scene for Indie, Punk, Ska-Punk and Rock.

aj999
[Avatar]

Regular Member ***
Re: I love Kingston! (6th May 09 at 10:39am UTC)
haha yea, nothing beats a live act! {Cheesy} I dont think I could listen to the Aphex twins Emily, all i remember from them is that video where that creepy dude screams at the old granny, that thing would give me nightmares. {Shocked}  lol, in terms of alternative/rock music i love Muse!!!!! Bloc Party, The Cure, The Enemy, The Killers, Keane, The King Blues, Kings of Leon, anything really.... I could go on and on and on, I'm just reeling off the contents of my iPod here.. lol {Rolleyes}  I'm loving Jack Penate's new song at the moment!

emily-o
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: I love Kingston! (8th May 09 at 11:04am UTC)
Ahhh ok {Tongue Out} I was imagining a completely different form of 'alternative music' {Wink} haha

Muse - legendary! I listen to slightly more metal bands though. *tries to think of someone you may like...* Do you like a bit of deftones?
Maybe you should visit the Agincourt sometime in Camberley. They do a good range of rock music - from kings of Leon to Guns n Roses to Pendulum all the way to Marilyn Manson. {Cheesy} {Cheesy}

Stuart Lawrence
Developer
[Avatar]

Business Owner ****
Re: I love Kingston! (8th May 09 at 11:33am UTC)
Ska!

aj999
[Avatar]

Regular Member ***
Re: I love Kingston! (13th May 09 at 12:36pm UTC)
Yea thats the problem with 'alternative' music, theres such a wide range of it, depending on what peoples perception of 'alternative' music is lol. I guess most of what I described could be classed as Rock, but there's often a fine line between rock and alternative. I cant say ive heard enough of the deftones. Im sure ive heard them on XFM before but i cant remember what their music is actually like. Pendulum are pretty cool and I must agree with your reference to Muse as legendary tho, high five on that one! :P Perhaps the best rock band of our time? {Cheesy}  haha

Stuart Lawrence
Developer
[Avatar]

Business Owner ****
Re: I love Kingston! (2nd Jun 09 at 11:35am UTC)
This is the latest New Slang Mailout. Enjoy!

Tubelord have been creating a massive buzz in Kingston and beyond with their unpredictable awkward-pop post-hardcore. They are a bit special and we're watching them on every step of their rise to immeninent stardom.

On top of that we have Banquet Records' and The Steal's Dave House playing for us. Before joining the Banquet staff and before being in hardcore-punk band The Steal, Dave was writing beautiful Weakerthans / Billy Bragg / Frank Turner esque acoustic pop. Now, toward the beginning of his UK tour he calls in to his home town to promote his third (and arguably best) album. Check out Banquet Records for more on this release.

Dave's tour support, A Broken Robot are opening the night. Get down early to check their Tellison-styled indie rock.
New Slang is an 18+ event, so please bring valid photo ID.
New Slang is at McCluskys and is the same night run by the same group of people that cobbled together some kind of Frank Turner show at The Works in October 2006. After the bands, the club night follows. It's our indie/alternative night for the people of and around Kingston, and we love doing it. But why not write on the wall of the facebook event any requests of tracks you'd like to hear afterwards?
McCluskys is only a few minutes walk from our old home at The Works; it's on Riverside Walk right next to Kingston Bridge. If you still don't know where it is, click on the map below!

Remember, McCluskys has cheap drinks prices! Pints of Fosters, Strongbow, and glasses of wine at ?2, Vodka and mixer for ?2.30 and a free shot if you or your mate signs up to the mailing list at the front door.

And don't forget, you can get a pound off entry with a flyer. So if you don't have a ticket already it will be ?4 with a flyer, or with a print out of this e-mail, or ?5 otherwise. You can get advanced tickets from Banquet Records! You can get a flyer which you can get from Banquet Records, McClusky's, Knights Park bar and Natterjacks.

Next Thursday, we're stoked to be welcoming The Rumblestrips back to New Slang. Their music has been a staple part of the New Slang aural diet since day one and they're here to play new and old songs alike..

Look what we've got coming up at future New Slangs:

June 4th
Tubelord + Dave House + A Broken Robot
[tickets] [facebook event] [flyer]

Thurs 11th June
The Rumble Strips

Thurs 18th June
Cherbourg + TBA + Good Weather Girl
[facebook event]

Thurs 2nd July
Dananananaykroyd + Friendship
[tickets] [flyer]

Thurs 16th July MOMERATHS SINGLE LAUNCH
The Momeraths + Cocos Lovers

Thurs 30th July
Goldie Lookin Chain
We're always booking new bands to play at New Slang, and there are lots of exciting things coming up which will be announced soon! Keep checking the Banquet site for updates!

Don't forget to check out the releases we've got on our own New Slang Records label! Out now is the very-limited split 7" from Frank Turner and Fighting With Wire from when they played our club night together! These are going fast. We've also got leftover copies of the exclusive Johnny Foreigner 7" we gave away on the night they play New Slang. Seriously one of our favourite bands right now, so don't sleep on this one and snap one up before they're absolutely massive! Not forgetting our friends at Banquet Records have the last few copies of the Stapleton 7", featuring two songs you won't find anywhere else, from when the band played here!

We've got new shirts! Check them out, they look absolutely amazing! We're sure a few of you get the respectful nod here. Without Minor Threat we wouldn't be here, we're sure of that much.

Don't forget to add our new New Slang Facebook group if you haven't already. It'll be the only place to get info about New Slang on Facebook from now on! If you click the logo below, it should take you straight there!

Speaking of Facebook, some dedicated souls have started compiling a list of everything we play each week. This isn't done by us, but it's an awesome idea so we approve it! Click HERE to be taken to it if you've ever wondered what that song is.
Thanks for reading! We'll see you Thursday!

JT @ New Slang

aj999
[Avatar]

Regular Member ***
Re: I love Kingston! (2nd Jun 09 at 3:29pm UTC)
Ahh New Slang eh? I was there last thursday. Was really good! Last time they held New Slam; a skate boarding competition, in the middle of the dance floor until 11:30! Looks like a few cool things going on over the next few weeks, I might sign up to their newsletter {Cheesy}

mikerich
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: I love Kingston! (14th Apr 10 at 6:53am UTC)
Most of Kingston products are really nice. I hav used the Kingston USB.. Nice brands for products.

sandalsjay
[Avatar]

Junior Member **
Re: I love Kingston! (14th Apr 10 at 9:24am UTC)
Hey Mike, I noticed on your profile you're from Chicago.
I think you've got the wrong Kingston in mind lol... this topic is not about the brand, it's about Kingston Upon Thames - a town in Surrey, England. {Tongue Out} You can read more about the town on this website: http://www.surrey-online.co.uk/towns/kingston {Cheesy}

kellylash
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: I love Kingston! (2nd Sep 10 at 6:05pm UTC)

This is the latest New Slang Mailout. Enjoy!

Tubelord have been creating a massive buzz in Kingston and beyond with their unpredictable awkward-pop post-hardcore. They are a bit special and we're watching them on every step of their rise to immeninent stardom.

On top of that we have Banquet Records' and The Steal's Dave House playing for us. Before joining the Banquet staff and before being in hardcore-punk band The Steal, Dave was writing beautiful Weakerthans / Billy Bragg / Frank Turner esque acoustic pop. Now, toward the beginning of his UK tour he calls in to his home town to promote his third (and arguably best) album. Check out Banquet Records for more on this release.

Dave's tour support, A Broken Robot are opening the night. Get down early to check their Tellison-styled indie rock.
New Slang is an 18+ event, so please bring valid photo ID.
New Slang is at McCluskys and is the same night run by the same group of people that cobbled together some kind of Frank Turner show at The Works in October 2006. After the bands, the club night follows. It's our indie/alternative night for the people of and around Kingston, and we love doing it. But why not write on the wall of the facebook event any requests of tracks you'd like to hear afterwards?
McCluskys is only a few minutes walk from our old home at The Works; it's on Riverside Walk right next to Kingston Bridge. If you still don't know where it is, click on the map below!

Remember, McCluskys has cheap drinks prices! Pints of Fosters, Strongbow, and glasses of wine at ?2, Vodka and mixer for ?2.30 and a free shot if you or your mate signs up to the mailing list at the front door.

And don't forget, you can get a pound off entry with a flyer. So if you don't have a ticket already it will be ?4 with a flyer, or with a print out of this e-mail, or ?5 otherwise. You can get advanced tickets from Banquet Records! You can get a flyer which you can get from Banquet Records, McClusky's, Knights Park bar and Natterjacks.

Next Thursday, we're stoked to be welcoming The Rumblestrips back to New Slang. Their music has been a staple part of the New Slang aural diet since day one and they're here to play new and old songs alike..

Look what we've got coming up at future New Slangs:

June 4th
Tubelord + Dave House + A Broken Robot

Thurs 11th June
The Rumble Strips

Thurs 18th June
Cherbourg + TBA + Good Weather Girl
[facebook event]

Thurs 2nd July
Dananananaykroyd + Friendship
[tickets] [flyer]

Thurs 16th July MOMERATHS SINGLE LAUNCH
The Momeraths + Cocos Lovers

Thurs 30th July
Goldie Lookin Chain
We're always booking new bands to play at New Slang, and there are lots of exciting things coming up which will be announced soon! Keep checking the Banquet site for updates!

Don't forget to check out the releases we've got on our own New Slang Records label! Out now is the very-limited split 7" from Frank Turner and Fighting With Wire from when they played our club night together! These are going fast. We've also got leftover copies of the exclusive Johnny Foreigner 7" we gave away on the night they play New Slang. Seriously one of our favourite bands right now, so don't sleep on this one and snap one up before they're absolutely massive! Not forgetting our friends at Banquet Records have the last few copies of the Stapleton 7", featuring two songs you won't find anywhere else, from when the band played here!

We've got new shirts! Check them out, they look absolutely amazing! We're sure a few of you get the respectful nod here. Without Minor Threat we wouldn't be here, we're sure of that much.

Don't forget to add our new New Slang Facebook group if you haven't already. It'll be the only place to get info about New Slang on Facebook from now on! If you click the logo below, it should take you straight there!

Speaking of Facebook, some dedicated souls have started compiling a list of everything we play each week. This isn't done by us, but it's an awesome idea so we approve it! Click HERE to be taken to it if you've ever wondered what that song is.
Thanks for reading! We'll see you Thursday!

JT @ New Slang

Dave is a F#/;'#g LEGEND!!!

Sam
[Avatar]

Regular Member ***
Re: I love Kingston! (14th Sep 10 at 9:31am UTC)
Has anyone ever been to the Hippodrome yet? It's not quite the Works. I saw Sean Kingston there last year. It's never quite full up.

stelios
[Avatar]

Junior Member **
Re: I love Kingston! (20th Sep 10 at 8:40am UTC)
Nobody goes to the hippodrome anymore since they changed its name. Its a shame as I would loce a descent alternative to Oceana.

Thomas
No Avatar

Moderator *****
Re: I love Kingston! (6th Mar 15 at 9:52am UTC)
Being 2015 I feel this page needed a new update. As Kingston now have PRYZM which is the new name for Oceana's.

From mine and others experience PRYZM is probably the biggest club in Kingston. But I hear that McCluskys and the Hippodrome are good alternatives on a night out.

Printable View