surrey-online.co.uk

Welcome to the
surrey-online.CO.UK
registration form

By registering for free you will get access to our Online Forum and you will be able to comment on news articles
surrey-online.co.uk :: surreyLIVING :: General :: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
KK
Staff: Search Engine Marketing
[Avatar]

Administrator **********
Sex: Male
Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (19th Apr 09 at 11:50pm UTC)
Just few hours ago. ITV London news pointed that Guildford taxpayers are among top tax contributors in the country.
Guildford taxpayers after St Albans and Windsor residents are closing the top three towns in the country.
according to the survey which was published by Guardian we have a following list:

PositionTown/CityAnnual Income per HeadAnnual Tax paid from Income
1St Albans43,50010,500
2Windsor42,10010,100
3Guildford38,2008,850

Source: ITV / Guardian

Survey also showed that there is a gap of almost £8000 between towns from the top of the list and the bottom. 

What you think guys - anyone from Guildford?
You can also comment our main article:  Guilford Budget Contribution - £8850 per Head

Second Year - Still standing
-vForums Rules
http://vforums.co.uk

chezza1974
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Sex: Unspecified
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (29th Apr 09 at 7:34am UTC)
i'm in Lightwater but wish I was in Guildford if it meant i had to pay more tax becuase i'd be earning more money LOL. Surrey jobs have always been esteemed to be higher paid becuase it costs so much more to live here {Sad}   which seems unfair to the people who won't be earning as much.. they all get priced out of the market and have to move to lesser well off areas - i've seem it in my life so far and i'm only 35!

where abouts are you from?  I read on the net that it was Guildford and Reigate that are the biggest earners but at the same time it has been reported about the hidden surrey areas of high deprivation and westborough in guildford is also mentioned.  

I suppose deprived areas are always near the rich ones.  Maybe with the budget Gordon Brown is trying to be Robin hood and tax the rich. Shame he isn't giving to the poor!

Cheri

emily-o
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (30th Apr 09 at 9:31am UTC)
I live around 30mins from Guildford but cannot say I am too knowledgeable on its economy! Does it home some big companies or any particular job sectors like IT? If so I can see why there will be higher salaries..

chezza1974
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (30th Apr 09 at 9:04pm UTC)
there are quite a few business areas in and around but not sure if the stats come from the people who just live there rather than work there? after all its only half hour to london and as we all know the city folk earn the gdp of some third world nations! (lol)

emily-o
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (1st May 09 at 9:28am UTC)
I have to say - I would not be happy giving half of my salary to the government to mop up the mistakes they have made. I would rather them accept some resposibility and scrap some of their expenses.
Though when you think about it, top earners will be giving not only half the salary in tax, but a few grand extra for national insurace! It is insane in the membrane {Shocked}

Do you think top earners really will migrate and share their wealth to a less greedy government? One of our family friends has moved to the Philipines and bought the top penthouse sweet for a mere £20k - The thought must at least appeal?!

nush
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (1st May 09 at 9:38pm UTC)
I live in Surrey and I do not mind taxes to be high if I see they well spend (watch Sweden or Norway) on infrastructure. If I see them going in to bureaucracy and rescuing dead body-banks instead I am willing to move away. Where we live is this free market or central planning like in Soviet Union. Tax should be flat rate 19% banks if weak should collapse there are a lot of great banking institutions who are doing well see Coop, St Anders and I am sure they are happy to take a bite of the market from these useless giants which treat customers with no sense. If we won't stop this madness I am moving out I already purchased investment property near Paris. And I'm looking to move away for good if instead of hospitals, roads, schools even prisons we will be spanding money on someones bonuses in RBS. What is this idiotic situation about.

chezza1974
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (5th May 09 at 3:57pm UTC)
I couldn't agree with you more nush - my other half wants to move too. this country is going down hill pretty fast and brown and his cronies are no doubt going to desert a sinking ship as well!!!!

MadSurrey
[Avatar]

Junior Member **
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (5th May 09 at 8:00pm UTC)
I like this forum - a lot of heat from women ;-). I'm democrat myself and I believe there is a right time for a change this latest budget shows how sick country we have. I hope people are fed up with two parties blaming each other for their own wrong decisions. Give us a break people. Please vote democrats this spring

Trelamorele

emily-o
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Re: Guildford residents among the top UK taxpayers (6th May 09 at 9:36am UTC)
Hehe, yes I think it is very theraputic to whine about the labour party! best stress relief I get at work {Tongue Out}

I have to say though - increasing the tax is NOT the way to sort things out! It has been proved before that increasing taxes also increases the cost it takes to collect them all. Therefore more money will actually be going to the accountants rather than the treasury! When Margaret Thatcher was in charge she showed that lower taxes were the way to prosperity.

The labour party are A* candidates at short term thinking.
 Printable View