surrey-online.co.uk

Welcome to the
surrey-online.CO.UK
registration form

By registering for free you will get access to our Online Forum and you will be able to comment on news articles
surrey-online.co.uk :: surreyLIVING :: Local News :: Submit Your Local News Stories :: LOCAL MAN MAKES THE FINAL OF NATIONAL TRADESMAN AW - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
felicitycross
No Avatar

Junior Member **
Sex: Unspecified
LOCAL MAN MAKES THE FINAL OF NATIONAL TRADESMAN AW (25th May 11 at 2:44pm UTC)
From over 3,000 entries, local Surrey electrician Richard Harper has been named as a finalist in a national competition organised by trade retailer Screwfix – and is now battling it out with nine other finalists from across the country to take home the national title and a brand new van.

Richard, 49 from New Malden, has been a handyman and kitchen fitter for 25 years which has seen him working in some hair-raising locations. One day he was working on a hydraulic crane which collapsed under him. Richard was left grabbing onto the window ledge of the office blocks and knocking on the window.

Richard explains: “I was frantically banging on the windows and the secretary saw me and just waved back! Thankfully she soon realised I was in danger and dragged me in through the widow by my collar. I then sat in the office shaking like a leaf while drinking a cup of coffee!”

Richard shows a real passion for his trade and prides himself on his fair, approachable response to customer service.

Richard comments: “I have never charged people a big fee just for a call out and I typically do jobs for the elderly free of charge. I believe it’s important to give customers exceptional customer service.

“With so many entries to the competition, even making the final of Britain’s Top Tradesman is an honour. I’m just crossing my fingers that I impressed the judges!”

Richard, whose company is called Harper’s Property Services, is now hoping to be crowned Britain’s Top Tradesman 2011 – and win a brand new van manufactured by Ford.

John Mewett, Marketing Director at Screwfix, said: “At Screwfix we meet hundreds of tradesmen every day in our trade counters and we understand how hard they work and the efforts they go to in order to get the job done to the highest standard, so it is great to be able to highlight the good work that is being done up and down the country with Britain’s Top Tradesman.

“We’ve been overwhelmed by the response and have enjoyed hearing some impressive stories of exceptional workmanship and great customer service along the way. Richard and all our finalists have demonstrated their willingness to go the extra mile to get the job done and it’s certainly no easy task to pick the winner.”

Richard was invited to Silverstone racecourse to meet the judging panel at the finalists’ day and was treated to a tour of the iconic race track.
The judging panel, which includes representatives from Screwfix, the Federation of Master Builders (FMB), the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering (CIPHE) and the electrical trade body NICEIC will be announcing the national winner later in June.
 Printable View