surrey-online.co.uk

Welcome to the
surrey-online.CO.UK
registration form

By registering for free you will get access to our Online Forum and you will be able to comment on news articles
surrey-online.co.uk :: surreyLIVING :: Walks in Surrey :: Walking in Godalming, Surrey - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
paulswalks
[Avatar]

Junior Member **
Sex: Male
Walking in Godalming, Surrey (10th Mar 10 at 3:53pm UTC)
A 8 Mile loop around Godalming, Surrey. Passsing through Winkworth Arboretum.
I got this walk from the new South West Trains website, but they hadn't any map for it. I've done a Google map which you can view here...

Fairly steep climb out of Godalming, but its on a solid footpath, so it just takes a bit of time. After 15 minutes or so you reach Busbridge Lakes, which marks the countryside start of walk. Then on to Clock Barn Farm which has lovely views westward. Another walk on this forum goes up to Hydon Ball but this walk veers off east to pass through Winkworth Arboretum. This is National Trust property but has a public right of way running through it so if you stick to this path its free - just don't leave the path! I did this walk late Winter / early Spring so the trees were all still bear, but the view over the lake was well worth the walk alone.

Other highlights on walk were the horses at Stilemans Training Course, Walking along the Wey Navigation back to Godalming and the Phillips Memorial Cloister in Godalming Park (It was built to commemorate the bravery of Jack Phillips, Radio Officer of the Titanic, who remained at his post, sending a distress signal. He perished on that dreadful night.)

For a map of walk click here...

My camera went a bit wonky so only got a few shots:

Winkworth Arboretum Lake View

Horses in Surrey

Cheers and Happy Walking for 2010.

Printable View