surrey-online.co.uk

Welcome to the
surrey-online.CO.UK
registration form

By registering for free you will get access to our Online Forum and you will be able to comment on news articles
surrey-online.co.uk :: surreyLIVING :: Walks in Surrey :: Pitch Hill Walk - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
paulswalks
[Avatar]

Junior Member **
Sex: Male
Pitch Hill Walk (2nd Sep 10 at 3:36pm UTC)
10 mile hike up to Pitch Hill - Surrey.
This walk starts by going through the small village of Gomshall, but your quickly onto country footpaths heading westward just before crossing railway line over bridge. Views here looking back to North Downs aren't as good from footpaths which head east out of Gomshall, but after crossing road the country side opens up giving great views looking forward toward Winterfold Wood and Hurt Wood. Someone has placed small seat here tempting you to linger a bit to long taking in view (you've only just started the walk!). However, the view stays with you as you continue westward into small wood before joining Ponds Lane and heading South.

gomshall-walk-view view to winterfold wood

Ponds Lane is a Trackway, so theoretically any road worthy vehicle can use it, but lane is to narrow to get car or van down. Just before entering lane I was passed by trio of Motorbikes / Scramblers and reading notice entering lane it seems this lane is popular with motor-cross bikes, so rest of time on lane was expecting to be run down at any time. As lane is closed in and offered no view was relived to get off track and back into open countryside. Views are good in all directions just after Lockhurst Hatch Farm, even spotted a wild deer but camera hasn't got good enough zoom to get good photo. After brief open country side you enter Winterfold Wood and begin slow climb through dense woodland on open footpaths. At top of climb you join Greensand Way and head West. Before the last steep climb upto Pitch Hill sumit you pass Ewhurst Windmill. I wasn't sure if this is open to the public and with large gate closed thought best not to enter. Had a quick look online but only found this..

Climb to Pitch Hill viewpoint was fairly steep but views well worth it and with nice seat was great place for packed lunch.
Rest of walk was a bit of a blur as had only 45 minutes to get back for train. Was waylaid in field just past Peaslake, as ran into newly weds having wedding photos taken agaisn't nice landscape backdrop. Photographer got me to add some comic value to photos by posing as a lost walker asking the happy couple direction - a role I easily got into!

Click here to see Google Map of this walk...

ewhurst windmill surrey Pitch Hill view

Printable View